Sunday, May 29, 2011

Gil Scott-Heron and the Revolution in You


Gil Scott-Heron died May 27. I'm a million miles away from being an expert on jazz, soul, funk, blues or poetry, but GSH was the guy. I've never heard anyone like him, and I wonder if he shouldn't be revered the same way Leonard Cohen seesm to be. Anyway, if you've never heard The Revolution Will Not be Televised, you're excluding a major piece of important music history, but you can hear it below.

Anyway, here's an intriguing quote from the man regarding hip hop music:

"They need to study music. I played in several bands before I began my career as a poet. There’s a big difference between putting words over some music, and blending those same words into the music. There’s not a lot of humor. They use a lot of slang and colloquialisms, and you don’t really see inside the person. Instead, you just get a lot of posturing."

Gil Scott-Heron - I'm New Here by naoalinhados3

Gil Scott-Heron - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised by alvaradodurandgmail

03 GIL SCOTT HERON THE BOTTLE (ORIGINAL REMASTERED VERSION) by steveblum72

Gil Scott-Heron - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (Remix) by Ecstra Kool

Field Of Mars - Gil Scott Heron by Field Of Mars

Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson 03 Willing by PANTSGOESDOWN

GIL SCOTT HERON RE RON~1 by groove68

Gil Scott Heron - Angel Dust by Sparrow

Gil Scott-Heron - Grandma's Hands by uuul

Gil Scott-Heron - The Bottle (Bloodfire Rework) by Jack.GG

Gil Scott Heron-Your Daddy Loves You (For Gia) by zvio











Numerous links to purchase GSH music at his website.

2 comments:

rundlescat said...

Thanks Scruffy, was a sad day. Are you the guy that has my "Moving Target" LP? I lent it to some one in the nineties and cant remember who. My favorite track on there was "Blue Collar," slow smokin' groove. "Aint no where that i aint been down"

chris yak said...

Um, I'll have to check. When we split housesharing you told me to hold on to a few of 'em, that might have been one, along with some Otis Redding and Peter Tosh. That is, if you is who I think you is.