Tuesday, January 4, 2011

What Scruffy Loved Listening to This Year, Pt. 3


Everyone's got a best of the year list. Sorry, not here. But you do get a bunch of music that I loved in the past year (some of which may have been released prior to 2010, I don't care), some of which I've blogged about already, and some of which I didn't get to sharing. So here it is, Part Three (and of course by This Year I mean last year), come on back for the next parts.

Crocodiles: a perfect mix of psychedelia, Jesus & Mary Chain, and shoegaze euphoria still gets me stoked.

Crocodiles - Sleep Forever

Crocodiles - Sleep Forever by Paduta










Cut Copy's name has come up in my endless search for fine music, but I ignored 'em, because with a name like that I stupidly guessed I was gonna hear techno or industrial-type sounds. I still don't know anything about the band, but this song sounds like a joyous celebration of something; the future? the road right in front of you? Re-claiming Gary Glitter's stomping beats for a pretty possibility party? For an email address, Cut Copy will give you this song for free.

Cut Copy - Where I'm Going

Cut Copy -- Where I m Going by F M

Old 97's The Grand Theatre Vol. 1 contains this raucous, raw stomper, proving that not only can the band ace alt country and sweet pop, garagey rock is also in the arsenal.

Old 97's - Every Night Is Friday Night (Without You)

Old 97's - Every Night Is Friday Night (Without You) by MMMusic

Winnipeg's Telepathic Butterflies seem to have skipped the last three decades in their quest to make sounds less fleeting than disposable pop. Reverb-drenched guitars, thick harmonies, literate lyrics and well-crafted tunes are a good start, and since thousands of people like you listened to their songs in previous posts on this blog, many of you agree.

Telepathic Butterflies - Circle Man

The Telepathic Butterflies-Circle Man by scruffy the yak

The Thermals released their new album Personal Life and continued their fine tradition of short, hook-filled, rocky-road-flavoured gems. The band members have a sense of humour. They have conveniently provided useful terms such as mid-fi, post-pop-punk, and post-power-pop, among others, which you may apply or not as you see fit. Near as I can figure, The Thermals are a power trio from the future. And they wrote a song called Canada.

The Thermals - I Don't Believe You

The Thermals - I Don't Believe You by The Drift Record Shop

The Thermals - Canada

The Thermals - Canada by killrockstars

The Thermals - Never Listen To Me

The Thermals - Never Listen To Me by halfchannel



Urge Overkill came back to ready their first album in more than a decade, performed on Yo Gabba Gabba, and gave a away a new song, Effigy. Bring back the swingin' medallions and they will come, boys.

Urge Overkill - Effigy

Effigy by Urge Overkill by scruffy the yak


Come on back for the next installment and final round up of last year's faves, leave a comment, tell me what I missed.

No comments: