Thursday, September 16, 2010

School of Seven Bells Inch Their Way Into Scruffy's Good Books

photo by Tammy Lo

School of Seven Bells are a Brooklyn trio comprised of vocalists/sisters Alejandra and Claudia Deheza and guitarist/producer Benjamin Curtis. Like many artists these days, they vaguely remind me of late 80's/early 90's alt-pop from the U.K.: Cocteau Twins, the Heartthrobs, My Bloody Valentine, Pale Saints...but maybe it's just me.





I actually really like the Phantagram remix, because the instrumentation reminds me of My Blood Valentine a bit. I miss My Bloody Valentine. If you miss them too, you may want to check out captains dead. Just sayin'.







Again, this one recalls MBV without being slavish, it's definitely more poppy, and I probably wouldn't like it without the well-crafted music. As it is, I dig it, though it's defintely not my area of expertise or obsession.



One more for ya. Do you like the band yet?

School of Seven Bells - Windstorm by VagrantRecords

Most School of Seven Bells can be purchased here.

No comments: